Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Sleep Number CoolFit Foam Contour Pillow: Reviewed

I am an insomniac. I also am a picky sleeper. I have tried many pillows over the years and they all are either too thick, too thin, or hurt my neck and head. I also have migraines several times per week, and often they last for days. The only pillows I have been able to use are a micropedic pillow (100% polystyrene foam beads) from Homedics. My husband and I each have 2, and they have been our only pillows for the last 5 years. They have held up well, but I was starting to feel like it was getting flat and I had wanted to try something else before purchasing a replacement. I am a side sleeper and always have an arm under my head and pillow.


I recently had the opportunity to do a Smily 360 mission with Sleep Number. I went into the Sleep Number store in my local mall and got to try out their latest bed and sleep technology. I have to say I am impressed as I went into the store not having any knowledge of what they were going to show me as I wanted to have a true, and pure reaction (whether good or bad). I laid on the Sleep Number bed and was able to experience SleepIQ technology. It is a tracking program that monitors your sleep habits (wake and sleep cycles) to left you know when you have the best sleep and allows you to make adjustments to improve. I toss and turn a lot in the night and often do not fall asleep until 3 or 4 am. This is difficult as I have an 8 month old who nurses every few hours bedside, and a toddler who wakes up exactly at 8 am on her non preschool days, and 6 am 3 days a week.

We unfortunately are not able to buy a Sleep number bed right now with our current finances, but I would love to have one someday to try. We have a Tempurpedic Queen size that we purchased about 4 years ago and although it is comfortable, it is HOT HOT HOT in the summer and sometimes even hot in the winter. When winter nights get really cold in our 100 year old, poorly insulated home, the bed is ROCK hard and cold. The sleep number bed is a great bed and I love how it adapted to your perfect comfort and posture.

I was sent a Sleep Number CoolFit Foam Contour Pillow from the company and was excited to try it.


It arrived promptly after shipping and had a strong latex/paint smell that was terrible. I read the suggested directions to remove the pillow case and machine wash (only the case). I decided not to do that as I wanted to test out how long the smell lasts. It did last 2 weeks before I was able to use it on my bed and near my nose. After the 2 weeks, it smelled fine and I washed the case and put in on my bed. The pillow is VERY soft and springy, like a nice sponge cake treat. I was surprised how much I liked it and had instantly began using it without needing to "break" it in.

The reviews on the website  are not stellar in rating.  I realize everyone is different, but I was surprised so many people dislike the pillow.  I have had 2 Tempurpedic pillows that I used twice in the past 5 years, that I hate.  They weigh a lot and are super thick bricks and not soft or padded.  They are upstairs in the guest bedroom sitting unused. 

This Sleep Number foam pillow is squishy and soft, but not too soft.  I am able to sleep on my side with my arm and elbow under my head and pillow and rest easily.  Now, I still am an insomniac, and still stay up on the computer getting reviews done until 2 or 3 am each night, but when I go to sleep, I am not laying there for an hour, waiting to catch the sleepy train. 

The pillow uses a gel technology within the memory foam to create a cool, comfortable sleep experience, if you remove the pillow case, you can see a fascinating wave design that lets air flow freely.  This is comfortable on my head and neck due to the contour shape.  The sides of the pillow have a breathable mesh.  The pictures below show the case without the cover.  There is a thin cover over the foam directly (and the pillow case covers this cover) that is a bit see through, you can see the sponge holes.  The foam is blue toned. 

The pillow case is not the softest or best quality, but it has held up in the wash and is hypoallergenic and a 300-thread-count cotton cover.  I do not like the line/edge on the pillow case as it sometimes digs into my face.  I would love an improved pillow case.  The case is the only thing I do not love.

If you do not like a contoured pillow, this is available in classic shape.  I love how the pillows are made in USA.  I do want to note that the materials are imported.  My pillow is the Standard size and 5 inch.  They do make a 4 inch and 6 inch, and a King size as well.








Product care:

Cover: Wash in warm water, tumble dry low and do not bleach or use softener.  I put my pillow case/cover in a bra / delicate / sweater bag and zip it up. I was mine separate from other clothes much to my husband's dismay (I do use the smallest water level in our water saver, high efficiency machine).

Pillow: Spot clean with mild detergent, air dry away from direct sunlight and heat. Do not machine wash.  I have not needed to spot clean yet, but when I due I will just use Folex spray as it does not need to be rinsed. I love LOVE that stuff.

This pillow has a 5-Year Limited Warranty.  I have used this every night for 2 weeks and am loving it so far.  I am very picky with pillows, but this one passed my test.
 

**This was sent to me free, courtesy of Smiley360 and Sleep Number, all opinions are my own and I was not compensated for this review, other than receiving the pillow for free.**


No comments:

Post a Comment