Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Old Factory Candle Gift Set: Reviewed

I love candles and they are even better when they smell nice. I had the opportunity to try a set of 3 candles from the company, Old Factory Candle.  They are made of a natural soy wax, and they burn much cleaner and more even than traditional candles.  I really like how they are USA made and hand poured and they come in a nice looking cardboard gift set.


I want to apologize right away upfront.  I have zero pictures of my candles burning or displayed nicely.  I had taken several photos (like I do for all my reviews) on my cell phone, which is ancient by the way (Samsung Galaxy 3) and it completely died.  Thankfully most of my photos (over 1,000 personal pictures of my children, husband, and I) were auto-saved to the memory card, but a portion of them, (about 100) were auto-saved to the phone itself (I am guessing I ran out of memory space) and since my phone no longer would turn on, they were not recoverable.  The candle photos, a few other review items, and some family photos were lost.  It saddens me (especially for the family pictures) but there is really nothing to do about it.  I just move on. 

Here is the good part.  Did I like the candles? Yes, they smelled nice and burned even.  I chose the "High as a Kit." Why? I thought it was unique and a bit funny, given how that is completely NOT me.  I have never puffed a cigarette of any kind in my life and never will.  Since it was around Thanksgiving time when I selected the fragrance, I figured 90% of the reviewers would probably choose a holiday scent of pine, pumpkin, cinnamon, cranberry, etc.  I wanted to try something else.

The High as a Kite really smells nothing like what it sounds.  Cannabis candle smells like a faint vanilla (thankfully) but it was not my favorite as it smelled like the vanilla candles one might get at a discount store.  The reason I say this is that it had very little fragrance.  I like a potent, warm musky vanilla that is really noticeable.  This one was not.  I had high hopes that the Cannabis would smell like a pipe tobacco or similar, with a cherry vanilla spicy scent, but it did not.  It was very faint. The Incense candle smelled fantastic to me, it smelled like the incense sticks I used to burn.  The Bag O Cookies smelled like a batch of sweet cookies.

High as a Kite:
Cannabis
Incense
Bag O' Cookies

These candle gift sets each contain 3 different scented candles. The wicks are said to be self-trimming wicks, one of my candles had the wick travel to the very edge of the jar and I had to move it while the wax was hot.  These contain premium fragrance oils. I like how each gift set is themed around a group of related fragrances, and I like how the fragrance is on the bottom (which is good since my group of candles were high as a kite and I would have been embarrassed for someone who does not know me to see a candle that says "cannabis."  I think that "Man Cave" and "50 Shades" would have been interesting and nice fragrances.  (No I have not read the book.)  I love the smell of real leather, so if it smelled really close to leather that would have been nice.  I also wonder if the Vanilla fragrance is stronger than the vanilla in the Canabis candle.

Below are the list of Themes and their related fragrances:

Fall Harvest
Pumpkin Spice
Cranberry
Autumn Leaves

Happy Holidays
Christmas Tree
Candy Cane
Gingerbread

Winter Wonderland
Hot Cocoa
Roasted Chestnut
First Snow

Romance
Rose Petals
Champagne
Dark Chocolate

Fresh & Clean
Lemongrass
Olive Blossom
Fresh Linen

Spa Day
Cucumber
Lemongrass
Green Tea

Vacation
Sea Breeze
Hawaiian Lei
Awapuhi

Coffee Shop
Coffee Bean
Hazelnut
Chai Tea

Man Cave
Straight Razor
Leather
Mahogany

High as a Kite
Cannabis
Incense
Bag O' Cookies

New Born Baby
Baby Powder
Baby Shampoo
First Blanket

50 Shades
Leather
Vanilla ***
Jasmine Bubbles


I liked the candles and I love that they are made in the USA. I like the look of the jars and labels (the labels remove easily and the jars can be reused). I do think that for a set of 3 candles that are only 2 oz each that they are too pricy for our budget.  We like getting a giant candle that is about $20 and having it last for months.  These were burned each day for a few hours and lasted about a week. I think if you were wanting to get these as a gift for someone that might be better.  I would recommend that they increase the price to $30 (instead of the $25) and have each candle in the set of 3, be 4 oz.  2 oz does not seem to last as long.  

If you are interested about learning more, these are available on Amazon.



*A sample set was sent to me for this review, all opinions are my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment