Sunday, February 1, 2015

Ramini Brands Microwave Splatter Guard Review



As much as I am not so find of microwave use (always slightly wary of it) we do use our microwave daily. As much as we try to keep it clean, it really never looks great inside. We will often reheat a tomato sauce dish such as rotini or spaghetti, and splatters are frequent. We generally would put a paper towel on top or sometimes a plate. The plate does not allow the steam to escape and the paper towel just blows off. A few weeks ago I was sent a splatter guard from the Ramini Brands company. This is a plastic cover with air holes to allow steam to be released. The guard / cover is slightly curved and fits over several sizes of bowls and containers. This seems to work well and has prevented several messes from happening. Sadly a big mess did occur when I tried to make steel cut oats in the microwave in my large bowl. I tried to monitor it and made sure the bowl was deep and large enough with not too much water. I had only put the oats in the microwave for 3 minutes and 40 seconds. It was pretty frustrating. It was REALLY early in the morning, I was trying to make enough for me and my 4 years old, we both were really hungry, I needed to feed my 9 month old, and I needed the oats to cook without me watching a pot on the stove. Luckily not all the oats were lost, but basically my portion. I cleaned up the mess and gave my daughter the remaining from the bowl. The strange thing is that the cover lid was still on the bowl. I guess it expanded and lifted the lid temporarily while making a volcano like mess over the sides, then the cover settled down on top again. I have had success with the cover for soups and other reheating of left over meals, so it does work. I just will need to deal with the fact that if we are to enjoy steel cut oats, I am going to have to take the 20 minutes of stove top time.

The 10" x 12" round cover is translucent which makes it nice to be able to have some idea of if the food underneath is going to explode (if you have the microwave open).  The holes do allow proper release of steam.  Please note that you need to be careful as when removing the lid, it can be really hot.  I appreciate that it is made from BPA free materials and food grade plastic.  The two things I do not like about it are the fact that it cannot be washed in the dishwasher (not even top rack) and that it is not USA made.












Visit Ramini Brands on their website for other products.  If you are interested, you can purchase their splatter guard on Amazon.

Please follow me on Facebook for updates to this blog, reviews, and giveaways. You can also find me on bloglovin , Twitter, and on Instagram.

*Ramini Brands sent me one Splatter Guard for this review, all opinions and experiences are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment