Sunday, April 24, 2016

Lean Health Coconut Oil Review






I use coconut oil as a base for my skin butters, lip balm, cloth diaper safe bottom balm, makeup remover, oral care (oil pulling) and so much more.  I normally use Island Fresh Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil or Whole Foods 365  Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil.  I like these 2 brands because they smell wonderful and taste like pure, fragrant coconut.  I find that oil pulling with unrefined coconut oil is more enjoyable for my mouth and tastebuds.  I love the taste of coconut.  Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal.  I swish a tablespoon of coconut oil in my mouth, through my teeth and all around my gums for 15-20 minutes, then spit it out in the trash can (please do not expel the oil down a drain where it could accumulate in the pipes and be even worse for those with a septic system like we have) and then rinse my mouth with water.  This swishing of the oil pulls toxins and impurities out of your mouth and potentially can repair oral health.  It has been said that gingivitis, gum recession, and even cavities can be improved and healed.  There are many benefits of oil pulling, even beyond oral care.  Often long term use has shown other health benefits with other ailments.

I have been oil pulling for a few weeks and try to do it nightly.  It is best to do it first thing in the morning, but I often forget with 2 little ones and the bustle of the daily tasks.

I want to briefly explain "refined" and "unrefined" in terms of coconut oil---at least in my very simple understanding of the terms.

Unrefined coconut oil has more beneficial health properties than refined coconut oil.  Refined coconut oil has a longer shelf life than unrefined coconut oil.  But for our household, coconut oil gets daily, frequent use, and so I prefer using unrefined as ours never sits around long enough to go bad.  Refined coconut oil is best used for cooking as it has a higher smoke point (safer to use) than unrefined coconut oil.  Often refined coconut oil is used for cooking as it is tasteless and odorless, as some foods would taste strange or off putting with a coconut taste.  I can imagine fried eggs would be one example.  Unrefined oil has lends a slight coconut taste and fragrance in the food when it is used in cooking.  I like to add fresh shredded coconut flakes into Chicken Korma (we enjoy Indian Cuisine occasionally ) dishes and so would not mind using unrefined oil in that case.  Cakes and desserts would be wonderful with unrefined.  

I was recently sent a jar of coconut oil for review from Lean Health.  Lean Health Coconut Oil comes in a plastic container and is Cold pressed which is a great way to preserve the natural goodness in the coconut.  This is listed as 100% Virgin and Pure.  The container does not mention whether it is refined or unrefined.  In my opinion it seems refined, as it has nearly no coconut taste or fragrance.  I am not so fond of oil pulling with it as it tastes like oil.  I much prefer a more coconut fragrance.  I use this one for our cloth diaper safe bottom balm on my baby.  I also use this on dry skin.  I much prefer a fragrance of coconut oil in our skin butter, but this still softens and heals skin nicely.  

I have used this oil for about 3 weeks and it works for our skin care.  I would prefer it to have the usual fragrance and taste of coconut oil.  For more information, you can find it on Amazon.





Please follow me on:

Facebook for updates to this blog, reviews, and giveaways.  For updates on new posts, you can subscribe to me on bloglovin.  I would love it if you would visit me (subscribing makes me so happy) on Instagram and Twitter.







This is a mixture of coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, and Calendula oil (Calendula petals infused 6 weeks in jojoba, argan oil, rose hip oil) I use this as a skin butter.  Our cloth diaper bottom balm is basically this mixture, with some beeswax and lavender and tea tree oil.  





DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation for a product review and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I am always honest in my opinions and never promise a positive review. I only recommend products or services that I feel are beneficial to my family and my lovely readers. I enjoy testing out items and giving my readers an honest and descriptive account of how a product functions. My personal experience or view of an item may differ than yours.

Tiny Drops of Honey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You pay the exact same price for any and all products you order through my links, but I receive a small commission. I am a stay at home mommy and any commissions I receive help support my little ones.















No comments:

Post a Comment