Monday, January 5, 2015

Kalm with Kava: Reviewed





I had the opportunity to try out a natural based stress relieving drink called Kalm with Kava.  It claims to ease stress and provide a relaxed / calm state.  Made with Kava-kava, a root of the South Pacific that can elevate mood, provide relaxation, contentment, and happiness, while not affecting your mental clarity.  Many have used Kava for anxiety, sleeplessness, or nervousness.  Since this has the similarities of a wine or alcoholic brew and I am nursing my baby, (and am not an expert on this product or 100% sure of its safety or effect with nursing) I had a tiny sip to get an idea of the flavor, and then had my husband have the rest.

It is a brightly colored juice drink that is very tart and sweet.  I almost reminds me of a Red Bull or one of the similar energy drinks.  I personally did not like the flavor of this as I normally drink ice tea, water, or very weak 100% fruit juice (thinned with water).  My husband drank his with half water and half Kalm Kava drink.  He is not used to sweet drinks either and so enjoyed it much more with it watered down.  Neither of us are wine or alcohol drinkers. 

Before getting pregnant or nursing, I would occasionally enjoy a hard cider or a 5% alcohol wine cooler (like one every 6 months).  I have never heard of Kava so I was not sure what to expect.  I realize with him watering the drink down, it made it not have as much of a calming of effect.  I think this may be suited best for someone who is trying to stop drinking alcohol and make better choices with how they relax.  This would be a good transition from alcohol or smoking.  Neither of us has ever smoked, but we do know of friends and family who are trying to quit.  Often times people smoke cigarettes to calm nerves and ease stress.  I would suggest this drink to those individuals.
 
Ingredients: 

Filtered Water, Guava Puree, Passion fruit concentrate, orange juice concentrate, natural and artificial flavor, citric acid, glyceryl abietate, sodium benzoate, potassium sorbate, ascorbic acid, Xanthan gum, sucralose, Red 40 and Yellow #6

I am not a fan of the coloring/dye in this drink, I do not drink sugary drinks or artificial flavors/colors.  I would have preferred the drink to be just the kava root, water, perhaps some natural sugar or honey, and the 100% fruit juice/puree. 

Kalm with Kava can be purchased on their website and on Amazon. You can connect with the company on Facebook and Twitter

The following pictures are shown at full strength, before adding water.



















No comments:

Post a Comment