Friday, July 17, 2015

Nancy Drew: Sea of Darkness from Her Interactive Game Review





I recently had the opportunity to review another Nancy Drew PC game! I have been a fan of Nancy Drew books and the pc games for many years. My favorite games are ones where I am exploring an old house, castle, hotel, or someplace with grand decor and hidden passageways. This particular game is based on a ship and a frozen town in Iceland. The overall appearance of the scenes are a bit dreary as understandable so the over all scenes are not a splendid as a few of my favorite Nancy games but this game is still enjoyable.

The main plot is to find Magnus, the Captain who mysteriously disappeared off of a ship called the Heerlijkheid (which means Glory in Dutch) that is now wrecked. You (Nancy) has been hired by Dagney who is the manager of the ship’s restoration and business partner to Magnus. Dagney is not happy with Magnus. Some think Magnus was killed, or fell off a ship, while it is also rumored that he may have tried to steal some treasure. The overall tone of the suspects is that they do not trust Magnus, think he is loony, or perhaps used to like him some but changed their mind and no longer care for him at all. This is definitely a job for Nancy. She needs to learn her way around and uncover secrets. The treasure may still be on this historic ship, but where is Magnus?

In this game and all Nancy Drew games, you will solve puzzles and interrogate suspects along the way. As with all the games everyone seems a bit skeptical about your intentions and the suspects often do not trust each other.   It is funny when the suspects are snippy with you and tell you to move out of the way or get a bit insulting.

The characters seem realistic and the graphics in this game are good. I can definitely see that the games are more vivid as they have progressed a bit through the years. Nancy Drew games always give you the option to play the detective at Amateur or Master level and erase any mistakes without starting over. Although I have been playing for a few years off and on, I usually select Amateur, to make sure that the puzzles do not get too complicated for me as I do not want to peak at any hints. :) There is a particular forum that I have gone to in the past when I get stuck. Puzzles in Nancy Drew games can often range from gathering missing tiles and fitting them into a wall to open a secret passageway, or finding clues after learning a short history lesson, or completing a task. I like how you can play a word game in the Missti Skip, which is the pub run by Elizabet and often staffed by Gunnar (who likes to lazily sit at the bar). The game allows you to earn some Icelandic money which is fun and useful in the game.

One thing to note that if you are an avid Nancy Drew Pc Game player, the well known voice of Nancy will no longer be used in upcoming games. I have not played all the games, but have played many of them since I learned of them in 2000 and have enjoyed her uniquely pleasant and recognizable voice. I loved the very first games that I was introduced to, which were Message in a Haunted Mansion and Treasure in the Royal Tower.

I played this game on my Mac with no issues. I enjoyed the game a lot as I do all of the Nancy games, it was just not one of my absolute favorites. But that is okay! I still love these games. Oh, and Happy Anniversary to Nancy and Ned! :)




 Here are the specs according to the company:

Operating System:
Windows® Vista/7/8
OS X: OS X: 10.6.8 Snow Leopard/10.7 Lion/10.8 Mountain Lion/10.9 Mavericks/10.10 Yosemite or higher

Windows Minimum System Requirements:
1.5 GHZ or greater Pentium 4 CPU or equivalent class
512 MB of RAM
3GB or more hard drive space
128 MB DirectX 9.0 compatible video card
16 bit DirectX compatible sound card
4x DVD drive
Keyboard, mouse and speakers


Mac Minimum System Requirements:
Intel processor
512 MB RAM
3 GB or more hard drive space
Intel GMA X3100, ATI X1600, NVIDIA 7300 graphics card or better
4x DVD drive
Keyboard, mouse and speakers
Internet connection the first time the game is launched
This game will NOT run on PowerPC (G3/G4/G5) based Mac systems (PowerMac)

*I was sent this game gratis for my honest evaluation. You can purchase it on Amazon and learn more about it on the Her Interactive website. Follow Nancy and the gang on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment