Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Bzz Campaign Progresso Recipe Starters with Garlic Chicken (Pineapple Garlic Chicken with Mashed Butternut Squash and Broccoli)

I was excited to try the Progresso Recipe Starters Sauce in the flavor of Garlic. This sauce has a chicken broth base and has endless possibilities. I decided to make a chicken breast dish with broccoli and winter butternut squash. I had my husband peel and cut up a large butternut squash and cube into large pieces. Once those were finished, I put them in a large pot with salted and buttered water to cook until very soft. I drained the water out of the pot and used a potato mashed and prepared like home style mashed potatoes. I left some chunks of the squash for a nice texture. I added 2 tbs of Philadelphia cream cheese to the mashed squash (spreadable kind). I taste tested the squash and it was amazing. 

I turned the burner on low to keep this warm. Now on to the chicken. I started out with a pan with some butter and oil. I butterflied the thawed chicken breast and added some salt and a ground pepper spice seasoning (mixed spices) and one third of the Garlic Cream sauce. I cooked the chicken until it was golden and well marinated in the spices. I added a small serving of steamed broccoli (leftover from the previous day) to the pan to garnish the chicken and add a splash of color. I added about 5 tbs of crushed canned pineapple. When the chicken was finished and had soaked up the delicious flavors of the garlic pineapple sauce and seasonings, I added another 1/3 of the can of sauce to the chicken. (the last 1/3 I was able to save in a air tight container to enjoy the next day--perhaps to use as a base with chicken broth for a soup for lunch. 

I plated the chicken and poured the garlic pineapple sauce on top. I added some warmed crushed pineapple on top of the chicken breast and added a few pieces of broccoli. I then plated the mashed butternut squash next to the chicken breast. This was a very easy and delicious meal. I served this to my husband and our 19 month old daughter (hers was cut up appropriately as a finger food to prevent choking). 

I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the garlic sauce, as I am not a fan of garlic. This sauce was delicious and not overpowering with garlic. I would try this again with another recipe/dish in the near future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment