Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Puriya Breathe-Ease Balm (Natural Chest and Nasal Congestion Relief Balm---but also headache and stress reliever! Review





I was sent some natural chest and nasal congestion relief balm from a company called Puriya.  It contains essential oils and is such a fantastic choice for those who do not want to use Vics vapor rub or other similar ingredient products.






The ingredients of Vics are not the best, and it has been years since I have allowed that product in my home.  As you can see, some of the ingredients are decent, but Turpentine and Petrolatum concern me.  

Regular Active Ingredients  (VICS)

- Camphor 4.8% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)  

- Eucalyptus oil 1.2% (Cough suppressant)  

- Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)  


Inactive Ingredients (VICS)

Regular: Cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, special petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil 

Lemon: Cedarleaf oil, lemon fragrance, nutmeg oil, special petrolatum, thymol, turpentine oil 

I much rather use a product on myself and my children that is essential oil based with no questionable ingredients.  

Now thankfully I do not get many colds or flu like systems in the Spring or Summer, so I did not test this product for either of those indications, however I do get migraines a few times per week, and I do not take any prescription medication for them.  I rarely ever take OTC medicine.  Several years back when budget allowed, and my husband and I were more frivolous in our spending (haha, before 3 children, or any children at all)  I bought items from Origins frequently.  They are a higher end brand that does have some great products (with some botanical and essential oils), however they do have a lot of excess ingredients that are not so natural and often the ingredient list is packed with long words that I do not have the slightest clue what the ingredient is intended for.

Back then, besides frequently purchasing items whether I needed them or not, I also was not sulfate free and often thought this brand was healthier for me and my skin.  The brand certainly looks and smells wonderful.  One of my favorite products was a Stress relieving cream called Peace of Mind, On the Spot Cream.  It came in an incredibly tiny 0.5 oz pump and with as many migraines and tension headaches, I generally went through the container pretty frequently.  It did not completely relieve my migraines, but seemed to calm my mind and spirit, while assisting with unraveling my knots in my head that would cause me intense pain.  Unfortunately after looking over the ingredients of this bottle, I was struck by how little of the contents were natural.




Peace of Mind by Origins was no longer giving me peace of mind, as I realized i was adding chemicals to my body.  How can you heal and improve your body when you are not nourishing it?  

Ingredients: water\aqua\eau; rosa damascena (rose) flower water, mentha piperita (peppermint) leaf water, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf water; mentha piperita (peppermint) leaf oil*, ocimum basilicum (basil) oil*, eucalyptus dives (piperitol) oil*, citral, linalool, eugenol, limonene; bis-peg-18 methyl ether dimethyl silane; methyl gluceth-20; glyceryl polymethacrylate; prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil; oleth-3; glycereth-26; sorbitan stearate; oleth-5; oleth-10 phosphate; butylene glycol; ethylhexyl hydroxystearate; ethylhexylglycerin; polysorbate 60; caprylyl glycol; peg-150 distearate; cetyl alcohol; hexylene glycol; potassium phosphate; potassium carbomer; xanthan gum; carbomer; potassium sorbate; phenoxyethanol

I decided to begin looking for more natural options and would use peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, lemon balm, chamomile and other soothing ingredients.  I would mix a little of these ingredients with jojoba oil and apply to my aching temples and scalp.  I found that being in a dark, quiet room with water sounds (sound machine) in the background and this homemade mixture would often help me.  

When looking over the ingredients of the Puriya Breathe-Ease Balm, it came to mind that these ingredients would be perfect for replacing my homemade mixture and the Origins product.  Origins Peace of Mind contained unnecessary ingredients that I did not want in my body, and at $13 for a half of an ounce, I would be crazy to continue using it.  The Puriya is in a 2 oz glass jar (I always prefer using glass for skin care products).  I only need a small amount to apply to my forehead and temples. Stress melts away and my head feels so much better.  The Puriya is just under $25 and I can easily get all the product out when I do eventually finish the jar.  The Origins comes in a plastic pump and there is not an easy way to extract every last bit of product without some waste.

Puriya:

It is a blend of Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils.  The balm contains antiseptic and anti-microbial properties.  This is marketed as a balm to replace the traditional chest balms and relieve nasal and upper respiratory congestion. The formula can reduce symptoms of cold, flu, cough and allergies.  As I mentioned, I did not test this balm for those uses, as during the month of evaluation, no one in our household was sick.  I did find that as a stress / tension reliever balm and mild headache reliever, it was suited for the task.  It also can soothe tired and aching muscles and joints.  

Ingredients

Olive Oil, Beeswax, Eucalyptus Australiana Oil, Peppermint Oil, Lavender Oil, Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca Alternifolia).

I was sent this product complimentary for review, and find it to be an excellent choice.  I was not compensated for this review, other than being sent a tester product at no charge.

DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation for a product review and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I am always honest in my opinions and never promise a positive review. I only recommend products or services that I feel are beneficial to my family and my lovely readers. I enjoy testing out items and giving my readers an honest and descriptive account of how a product functions. My personal experience or view of an item may differ than yours.



Tiny Drops of Honey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. You pay the exact same price for any and all products you order through my links, but I receive a small commission. I am a stay at home mommy and any commissions I receive help support my little ones.






Please follow me on:

Facebook for updates to this blog, reviews, and giveaways.  For updates on new posts, you can subscribe to me on bloglovin.  I would love it if you would visit me (subscribing makes me so happy) on Instagram and Twitter.






I was happy that after using the product on my fingertips and applying to my forehead and temples, it had a matte and non greasy after--feel.  I still could smell the healing vapors of the essential oils on my fingers, but it was not so messy that I had to wash my hands right away.  This is great as I see this jar next to my desk and laptop.  I can continue working on my laptop without having to wash my hands after application.  I tend to be a night owl on my computer (trying to get some much needed Mommy time after the littles are in bed) and often the late hours, and eye strain makes my headache worse.  This balm is ready at my side.  












No comments:

Post a Comment