Thursday, April 30, 2015

Matcha Gift Set by Matcha DNA Review



I drink a lot of tea whether it is iced tea sweetened with several lemon slices, hot herbal tea with a few drops of raw local honey, hot matcha lattes, or a frothy matcha tea smoothie. I was happy to be sent a Matcha gift set to review from Matcha DNA, a company I reviewed last year. This set contains everything you need for to make a traditional cup of Matcha green tea. It is a beautiful set and since the main aspect of Matcha tea is the respected and soothing art of making it, it is nice to finally have everything I need. I had been using a whisk, however it was a stainless steel kitchen one and did not lend the overall traditional feel.

This set arrives in a sturdy and attractive gift box that is well padded and acts as a storage case for the items when not in use. The set includes 1 oz of USDA Organic Matcha Green tea Powder in a resealable bag. The bag does have a flat base for ease of setting on the counter, however I would have preferred it to come in a tin like my ceremonial matcha from a different brand.

The set includes a handmade matcha tea bowl that is just the right size for traditional Matcha tea preparation and fits comfortably in my palm.
There is a bamboo Matcha tea whisk that is handmade with sustanablly grown bamboo. The whisk holder is a lovely light green shade, and reminds me of my Matcha smoothie shades. This holds the whisk during tea preparation and drying and helps keep its shape. The whisk originally comes in a clear plastic cylinder and that is where I keep the whisk when it is done drying. The case is a hard plastic and protects it well. You can also display the whisk with the base in the stand.

I love how there are directions on the inner flap of the box on how to successfully prepare Matcha for single serving or the larger 18 oz serving.  I enjoy my Matcha in a smoothie best, so I generally prepare the measured amount (1 tsp) for the 18 oz variety. I do not use 18 oz of water, but instead I fill the bowl with the hot water and then use the whisk in a "W" formation. I let the tea cool then add equal parts of skim, 1, or 2% milk, 1 tsp real vanilla extract, about 2-3 tablespoons of frozen Cool Whip (extra creamy variety) 1 tsp of sugar (you can use more if you need it), a few ice cubes and blend in my 1000 watt blender. I then pour into a glass, then top with some milk that I made foamy with my milk frother stick.

This is from my Ceremonial tin.

 
 

*I was sent the gift set with 1 oz of Matcha, this is my honest opinion.

The matcha taste delicious and he loved it. He has gotten frozen ones from Starbucks a few times, but was very impressed with mine. I loved being able to make it with the proper items. It really is relaxing to make tea this way. I did notice this brand of tea (culinary grade) is a darker color than my ceremonial Matcha from my 1 oz.

This is a great set and I recommend it as nice gift or a treat for yourself. This is available on Amazon: Matcha Tea Gift Set


No comments:

Post a Comment