Thursday, March 12, 2015

Cloth Diaper Review: Double Maman

I have been using cloth diapers for the past 4 years. I love that we cloth diaper. Disposables waste money and they are not kind to skin or the environment. Both my children have gotten nasty diaper rash from disposables and have happy bottoms when in cloth. I also happen to think babies in cloth are even more cuddly and cute (if that is even possible). My 4 year old daughter used Bum Genius one size snap 4.0 pockets and we loved them. Since all her diapers were the pretty Blossom Pink (light cotton candy pink), we needed to buy a new set of diapers for our son who is now 11 months.  We are saving them in case we have another girl--sadly the perfect Blossom color is discontinued.

We waited until our baby boy was about 2 months before getting him into cloth, mainly because we did not find it financially feasible to use newborn cloth diapers, only to upgrade to regular size a few weeks later. Although he was an 8 lb 12 oz baby, he has now been in the 5-10 percentile for weight his first 11 months of age, and is very slim for his age, but with huge rolling baby cherub thighs! It took quite a few months for him to fit normally in the cloth diapers we had for him. 

We had only used Bum Genius with my daughter, but with my son, have ventured out into other brands and even other types of diapers. We have been using a mixture of Bum Genius 4.0 snaps, Thirsties Cotton Hemp prefolds with covers, and also a Hybrid type where you snap in a cotton hemp insert into a reusable cover (Buttons diapers, similar to Best Bottom). All these diapers work well, but they did have some fitting issues the first few months of his life and I had to readjust the snaps every few days as often the rise or waist would seem off.  If only I had kept looking for a few more options. 

Today I want to tell you about a brand of diaper that is very unique to anything I have ever seen or used. The brand is Double Maman and it is a fantastic company.  First off, it is run by a mama in Quebec Canada who uses some unique fabric materials and who knows how to make a quality cloth diaper.  Chrystel is a mama who has a love for her family (4 of which are her little diaper inspirations).   She makes these diapers by hand and pays attention to design detail and knows what works.

I was sent a Double Maman cloth diaper in a wintery snowman, penguin, deer, and bear pattern.  (Adorable and will be still used in the summer as it is that cute.)  What is really interesting is how she uses an athletic jersey material inside the diaper. The jersey is a polyester material and used for the purpose of keeping moisture wicked away from baby's sensitive bottom, and actually keeps the bottom airy and comfy.  I have found that this material also resists staining incredibly well and I have not had to sun this diaper.  (I lay or hang any stained diapers in the sunlight to remove any staining as I do not use bleach or oxygen powders.)

I love the inner visor gussets, these keep messes locked inside the diaper and off of clothing, bedding, and all else.  I love my Bum Genius diapers, but what I always complain about is that they do not have any gusset system.  My Thirsties have gussets, but they easily loosen and are not inner gussets, so I do not think they are as good.  One size fits from 7 to 40 lbs due to the incredibly generous layout of snaps.  These snaps are very durable and I have tested this diaper for almost 2 months, it has to be one of my favorites.  The insert is fantastic as it is NOT a itchy insert like my Bum Genius.  I love Bum Genius but the bare microfiber insert always irks me to touch it.  The Double Maman insert is soft, absorbent, and snaps into the pocket flap before inserting into the pocket.  Each cloth diaper comes with 2 inserts, 1 smaller and 1 larger.  I like how this insert does not attract lint and loose threads (from clothing) like my Bum Genius ones do.

The prints on Double Maman's Facebook page are ever growing and super cute to fit a variety of tastes and for girls or boys.  Several patterns are gender neutral.  Take a look here for her newest patterns.  Looking at the facebook page, I am in love with these 4 diaper patterns the best!  All of these 4 are quite gender neutral in my opinion, and are so very fun to look at.  The material of the diaper is silky and durable. 






Here is my baby wearing his diaper, he is 10 months.  Please excuse the fact that I completely forgot to photograph the main starring point of the diaper (the inner gussets and inner jersey material). I currently have the diaper in the wash, and will try to update with a picture.  He has used this at least 4 times per week for the last month (I wash diapers pretty much every night) and a half and the diaper still functions and looks new.  We have not had any leaking and the extra snaps on the rise are so helpful with his fluctuating size and length.  His legs remain very cherub like while his waist is trim.  I like how there are 2 extra snap in the rise area as compared to our Bum Genius 4.0 diapers.   The snaps are durable and easy to use.  The only thing I personally would have liked is for the tabs to be stretchy.  The stitching is secure and neatly done.  We really like the fit and usability of the Double Maman. 

Shown here on almost the shortest rise (left one row of snaps at the very bottom)  My baby is 10 months old and 17 lbs.


For more information on Double Maman, you can visit their website.  The website is in French (easily translated by Google), but Chrystel is happy to speak with you if you have any questions.  I was sent 1 diaper for review, all opinions are my own, and I was not compensated in any way other than the diaper.  Connect with Double Maman on Facebook for new products, sales and updates.  They have pictures of the diapers in real life and the patterns are beautiful and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment