Friday, January 2, 2015

New Makeup by ONE DIRECTION Limited-Edition Beauty Collection: Reviewed

Are you or anyone you know, a One Direction fan? Do you love makeup but are on a budget? Markwins (the company affiliated with the Wet N Wild company) has paired with One Direction and created a Limited Edition Makeup tin that features each band member on the front.  The tins are collectible for any One Direction fan.  The shades inside are all the same, so if you have a niece or daughter (with sisters or best friends) that have their favorite band member, each gal can own a tin with her favorite heart throb featured. After the makeup is used up, remove the plastic tray and store love notes, trinkets, or other makeup goodies.  Each tin has a different makeup look featured and depicted in a fun graphic, on the inside lid.  The look is designed by the band member that the front of the tin features. 

The colors in this palette are beautiful and exactly what I would pick.  I love pinks, and blues and metallics.  The lip shades are vibrant and I am always swooning when I find a fuchsia lip color or a pretty tiffany blue or sea foam / aqua blue eye shadow.  The thing that frustrates me is that the top layer of the shadows (which is a GORGEOUS metallic shimmer) is only able to be used the first time the shadows are used.  The metallic pigment is not throughout the entire shadow.  As you see in my pictures, after using a brush or finger to apply the shadow, it is matte underneath the metallic color.  (dissapointed as I ADORE the shades).  I am always a fan of shimmers and metallic shadows.

The eyeliner is not something I will use as it applies very light and smudges with the lightest stroke.  I like a DARK inky black look and wear a winged liner, cat eye look about 85-90% of the time.  I normally use a liquid liner felt tip pen style black liner.  I think if they included a gel liner pot with a brush or a felt tipped liner that might have worked better.  I did not have any tugging of my skin, but I did feel like I had to press harder and almost poked my lid trying to get it darker.  It applies like a smokey dark grey or off black. 

The lip shades I like the best, they are creamy and have nice pigment. They have a sweet candy like scent and I think I will wear those frequently.  If the eye shadows were metallic or shimmer throughout the entire shadow (and not just top layer) I would like them.  If they were meant to be matte, then I think they should have not had a teaser layer of metallic on top. The shimmer / top coat was a nice addition and I can see myself wearing that alone or over the lip glosses. 

The nail polish/varnish were colors that I might wear, however, when trying to apply the clear coat with glitter, I had to apply about 3-4 payers in order to get the amount of sparkles seen in the swatch.  This made the application gummy and not smooth.  I think this is probably designed to wear over the pink and not as a standalone polish.

I want to mention, that trying to get out the removable products took some difficulty.  This is not something I could apply if in a hurry / running late.   I got them out, but felt I had to dig and bend the plastic black holder away from the items to get them out.  I kept worrying I would get a finger nail into the shadows or lip glosses.  I wanted to photograph the tin under the black plastic holder, and it took some effort, I was not a fan of the black plastic tray.  I do like how these seem secure enough for taking with you, but I would have preferred the eye and lip palette to be separate from the other items.  I think the nail polish should have been switched out for black mascara.  (I never go anywhere without mascara on.)

All in all, for the retail price, this is a cute set that won't break your budget.  I really would have loved if the shadows would have been shimmery throughout, I know I keep mentioning it, but the shades are SO GORGEOUS, and I would have used them more if they were.  I would have been fine with them being all matte, but was confused as to why they would be matte with a thin metallic layer (that did not cover my lids evenly.  I ran out of metallic shimmer when going onto the second eye.

I am happy to have been sent this to try out, courtesy of Markwins and BrandBacker.
































Eye Shadows:
Nobody Compares- Metallic silver
Tell Me A Lie- Metallic nude pink
Same Mistakes- Metallic mint
I Would- Smokey brown shimmer
Summer Love- Smokey purple haze
Everything About You- Smokey black shimmer

Eye Pencil:
I Want- True matte black

Lip Gloss:
Loved You First- Bubble gum pink
One Thing- Frosted pink ice
Irresistible- Shimmered pearl
Heart Attack- Creamy rose shine

Lip Gloss Top Coat:
Over Again- Silver glitter sparkle

Nail Varnish:
Stole My Heart- Magenta pink shimmer
Alive- Multi-coloured glitter flakes

These new sets became available in stores November 15th and you can find them at these retailers:

Sears USA
Kmart
Target
Walmart Canada


You can learn more about the makeup line, as well as see fan photos and makeup swatches, on the Facebook page.   https://www.facebook.com/MakeupbyOneDirection

*POWERED BY BRANDBACKER.*

No comments:

Post a Comment