Tuesday, January 6, 2015

AVASIA Prenatal Vitamins: Reviewed

I take a daily prenatal vitamin as it provides my body an added boost of nutrition than a regular multivitamin.  Specifically, it provides more iron and Folic acid.  I am breastfeeding my baby and want the best milk for him.  He is getting added nutrients and it is important for me to take a quality prenatal vitamin.  I had been (about a year ago and before that) taking a prenatal vitamin from the local fitness store.  I took the same vitamin every day for about 3 years.  It worked well for me and did not cause any stomach upset, but I did not like having to take 2 pills and it was about $15 for a 1 month supply.  That may be spare change for many of you (a week of specialty coffee at the local barista, a monthly beauty box subscription, monthly movie subscription, etc.) but the past 2 years has been difficult for us when my husband had to switch jobs due company outsourcing over seas.  His hours increased with this new job, and his pay decreased.  We now make less with his overtime pay than when he worked regular hours.  So for us, extras like special programing tv, vacations, newer than 2 yr old cell phones, etc. are really not reachable.  Prenatal vitamins are a must and are always on the list, and we never skimp on quality.  This is our baby's nutrition as well as mine.  
I had the opportunity to try another brand of  prenatal that seems to be of equally high quality, yet I only take one pill, and it comes in a bottle of 150 pills, which is roughly 5 months of nutrition.  Currently it is being sold on Amazon for around $27 and so that is a big savings!  The pills have a hot pink coating on them and a slight vitamin fragrance.  They glide easily down with water.  I sometimes take them with a medium pulp 100% natural, not from concentrate orange juice as I have heard orange juice assists with absorption. 

This is gentle on my stomach, and although I do not have morning sickness, some pills do cause me to feel queasy.  This pill has not caused any problems for me. They're a vegetarian prenatal containing no gelatin and they have twice the Folic Acid and all the Iron you need in pregnancy and beyond.  Folic Acid is important to take for all women of child bearing age.  It is important to take a prenatal before you get pregnant.  With both my children, I made sure I was taking a prenatal at least 4-6 months in advance so that it was in my system.  Folic Acid helps prevent neural tube and birth defects and Iron supports the baby's growth and development and helps prevent anemia.

These pills do not have Calcium, as you are supposed to take Calcium and Iron at separate times of day due to them interfering with each other. Even if I was not breastfeeding, I personally take a prenatal.  I have taken one for the past 5 years.  It really boosts to your immune system, makes your skin look more radiant, and my hair and nails grow super fast.  







Ingredients:

Vitamin A (as beta-carotene) 4000 IU (80% RDA) Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 120 mg (200% RDA) Vitamin D3 (as cholecalciferol w/beta-cyclodextrin) 400IU (100% RDA) Vitamin E (as di-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 30 IU (100% RDA) Thiamin (as thiamine mononitrate) 1.8 mg (120% RDA) Riboflavin 1.7mg (100% RDA) Niacin (as niacinamide) 20mg (100% RDA) Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCL) 2.6mg (130% RDA) Folic Acid 800mcg (200%) Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin) 8mct (133% RDA) Calcium (as calcium carbonate w/maltodextrin) 200mg (20% RDA) Iron (as ferrous fumarate) 28mg (156% RDA) Zinc (as zinc oxide) 25mg (167% RDA)

Directions / Suggested Use: - One (hot pink) tablet daily because every gal needs a little pink in her day. Can be taken at any time, but if you are suffering from nausea through pregnancy it is suggested that you take your pill with a light snack or before you go to bed.  I sometimes take mine with a medium to high pulp orange juice as it seems to help me swallow my pills better to have a thicker consistency drink.  I have also heard orange juice is beneficial for absorption. 

You can connect with the company on Twitter.

*This bottle was sent to me as a review sample.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment