Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Dead Sea Salt Deep Hair Conditioner Mineral Balsam by Adovia: Reviewed

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

I had the opportunity to review another Adovia product. I really like this company. The products are made in Israel with Genuine Dead Sea Minerals as the key ingredient. They use botanical ingredients and essential oils. I had already reviewed their dead sea mud mask (loved), mud soap (loved), and their shampoo (would have loved if it was sulfate free and had a different fragrance). The shampoo would have been a favorite of mine if it was not made with sulfates. I have been sulfate free for over a year and do not use anything that contains sulfates (my toothpastes, soaps, shampoos, etc. are all sulfate free and my skin and hair are better for it.) I tried the shampoo and due to the heavy fragrance and the sulfates in it, I had to pass on it--I did try it once for the review.

Ingredients in Adovia Dead Sea Salt Balsam Hair Conditioner:

demineralized water and Dead Sea water, dead sea salt, cetyl alcohol, cetrimonium chloride 29%, mineral oil, isopropyl myristate, glycerin, lanolin, fragrance, polyquaternium-7, propylene glycol and chamomile extract and algae extract and papaya extract and aloe vera

The Dead Sea is known for its therapeutic and detox properties. People have traveled to its shores to soak in the salty waters and apply the mud to their face, body, and hair. "Dead Sea Salt contains more than 21 skin and hair rebuilding minerals such as magnesium, calcium, sulfur, bromide, iodine, sodium, zinc and potassium. (Adovia) These minerals are known to treat, detoxify, and cleanse. Hair loss can be prevented and treated through the use massaging Dead Sea salts into the scalp.

Glycerin is an emollient and humectant, it soothes the skin and helps to soften it. Glycerin has the ability to attract water and moisture. I like to add a few drops of vegetable glycerin to my facial oil when I cleanse my face or add it to my shaving soap puck when I wet shave my legs with my badger hair brush. I also make my own natural eye drops by boiling 1 cup of water, adding 1 teaspoon of salt, a few drops of pure rosewater and 3 drops of vegetable glycerin (let it cool and then use a sterile dropper to put drops in the eyes). Glycerin helps to seal in the moisture in the scalp. It helps to strengthen the hair and may be beneficial to prevent brittle hair from breakage and split ends.

Propylene glycol is a humectant, which means it helps the skin to absorb moisture. Its property of absorbing moisture allows it to do this. It helps to carry the water-based ingredients into the skin.

Chamomile extract and chamomile tea is said to be beneficial for combating hair loss. (info from Livestrong.com) Chamomile is also great for calming the mind and body, often I like to treat myself with a hot cup of chamomile tea when I am stressed or having trouble sleeping. I have also brewed the tea and used it as a hair rinse for silky strands. Using chamomile tea regularly can add natural highlights to blond or light brown hair. My hair is dark coffee black so I sadly do not get any highlight from using chamomile, but I do like rinsing my hair in tea. For my dark hair, I often use a mixture of strong black tea (cooled) and stinging nettle tea (cooled) with a few drops of Burdock Root oil, peppermint oil, and rosemary oil.

Aloe Vera is very moisturizing and soothing to skin and scalp. It can have positive effects when used for treatment of dandruff and scalp / skin irritation. I always use 100% pure, clear aloe gel for my skin and body, and have used it on skin irritation and burns for years.

I have tried this shampoo for a few weeks. I wash my hair 1-2 times a week and have used this each time I shampoo my hair. I like the natural ingredients in this conditioner, (however it does have some chemicals in it) and do think it moisturized my hair when used. This did not weigh down my hair or make it oily. I was not a fan of the fragrance, as it smelled similar to the shampoo. It is a very strong scent and to me it smells like a salon hairspray. I wished the conditioner (and the shampoo) smelled like Mango or Papaya (Papaya extract is used in this conditioner) or perhaps Pomegranate or even a Lavender or Tea Tree. The strong fragrance seemed to give me a slight headache while using it in the shower. However, the strong fragrance does not linger after my hair dries. When dried, my hair smells and feels clean with only a light pleasant scent left behind the next day.

I do want to mention, that this conditioner, as well as my Adovia Shampoo, has a strange fitting cap/lid on it. My lids on both products appear like they do not fit well and do not look like the stock photos. This did not cause anything to spill, it just looked odd to me.

For more information on this conditioner:

Cleopatra's Choice

Amazon Product Link

If you found this review or any of my other reviews interesting or helpful, please rate is as "helpful" and or leave a comment. I enjoy writing reviews and hearing feedback about what I have written as I feel reviews help those interested make an informed decision before purchasing. I also feel that honest and informative reviews improve a product by providing insight to the company. I believe reviews should be honest no matter whether an item was free, at a discount, or purchased. I am not connected to this company or any of the companies of products that I review. I am not paid for my opinions and do not receive any benefit for any purchases made based on my review.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.




No comments:

Post a Comment